Opened : May 1938
Closed : 15 April 1995
USAAF Sta No : 102
Current use : Disused / Industry / USAFE
ARG Forum - Alconbury
American Air Museum in Britain - Alconbury
Facebook - RAF Alconbury
Facebook - Team Alconbury
Airfield Research Group
482nd Bomber Group
This page last updated on : 4 March 2018
My thanks go to Paul Bellamy for his help with the correct terminology and captions for these photos.
Aerial Photos of Alconbury Airfield
BUILDING 3 : Wash Rack Effluent Pumping Main / Sewage Pumping Facility
BUILDING 4 : Chemical Store
BUILDING 6 : Paint Shop
This building is a Butler Shed that dates from the 1950s and was originally sited at RAF Molesworth. It was re-located to RAF Alconbury in the 1970s and became the Paint Shop. It was demolished during 2015.
BUILDING 8 : Wash Rack Pump House
This building dates from the 1950s and was built at the same time as Building 9 and Building 10. It was demolished during 2015.
BUILDING 9 : Wash Rack Oil Separator Facility
This building dates from the 1950's and was built at the same time as Building 8 and Building 10. It was demolished during 2015.
BUILDING 10 : Wash Rack Secondary Treatment Waste Plant
This building dates from the 1950s and was built at the same time as Building 8 and Building 9. It was demolished during 2015.
BUILDING 11 : Petroleum Oil Lubricants Laboratory
BUILDING 13 : Aircraft Equipment Maintenance Facility
Built in in the early 1970s and opening in late 1973, this was originally the 10th Field Maintenance Squadron building. The building included the Aircraft Maintenance Job Control and the Deputy Commander for Maintenance, along with a snack bar that was staffed by the Field Maintenance Wives Club. This was one of the first buildings to be demolished at Alconbury at the start of the redevelopment of the site in 2014.
BUILDING 14 : 17th Reconnaissance Wing Headquarters
BUILDING 15 : General Aircraft Maintenance & Overhaul Hangar
BUILDING 16 : Aero Engine Repair Shop
BUILDING 18 : Wash Rack & Corrosion Control Facility
BUILDING 19 : Squadron & Flight Offices / 10th Fighter Wing Operations & Training
BUILDING 21 : Heat Exchanger
BUILDING 23 : Boiler House
BUILDING 24 : Generator Compound
BUILDING 25 : Command Post (Soft) and the AUTODIN Annexe
The nissen hut part of this building was originally built in about 1942 as the Crew Rest, Locker and Drying Rooms to Air Ministry Drawing Number 15657/41. When the Americans moved in it was used for general and specialist crew briefings. After the war and into the 1950s the use changed and it acme the Base Headquarters and Operations, at this time the internal layout changed. Latterly it has been used by various based units as a headquarters facility and the communications centre.
BUILDING 28 : Corrosion Control Complex Sandblasting Shop
BUILDING 29 : Gas Governor and Meter House
BUILDING 30 (Original building number) : Watch Office Annexe & Additional Crew Briefing Rooms
This Air Ministry Type B prefabricated timber hut was originally built at nearby RAF Wyton as its temporary watch office during that base's reconstruction in the mid-1930s, and was relocated to Alconbury by 156 Squadron in mid-1942. It was dismantled and moved in the late 1940s to a farm in Little Stukeley for use as a barn, however in recent years it has been under threat of demolition. In later years the building number 30 was re-allocated to the British Pipe Line Agency Compound that was built to house the piped aviation fuel supply intake. As of February 2018 this building still survives.
BUILDING 30 (Re-used building number) : British Pipe Line Agency Compound
BUILDING 31 : 10th Security Police Squadron Headquarters and Central Security Control
Originally built as the Watch Office & Operations Block with attached Crew Briefing Room in 1941, this is the second 'Control Tower' at Alconbury, the first one still exists on a farm in Little Stukeley. The third watch office was built in 1943 and was near the Abbotts Ripton Depot site on the south east side of the airfield, it was demolished in 2013. The fourth control tower was built in the 1950s and was demolished on 15 June 2015. Building 31 is a listed building and is scheduled to be restored at some point in the future.
BUILDING 32 : Interim TR-1 Sensor Maintenance Facility / APQ-170 Radar Mock-up
BUILDING 34 : Tele-Communication Building
BUILDING 34 : Communication Squadron Headquarters
BUILDING 35 : Communication Squadron Headquarters Annexe
BUILDING 36 : Rod & Gun Club
BUILDING 42 : General Workshop
This General Workshop was originally the WWII Dinghy Store.
BUILDING 43 : Aircraft Ground Equipment Workshop
BUILDING 44 : Aircraft Ground Equipment Workshop / Store
BUILDING 45 : Electronic Security Command Offices
BUILDING 46 : Pave Tack Facility
BUILDING 47 : Photo Processing Lab
BUILDING 48 : Squadron Headquarters for 1st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 509th Tactical Fighter Squadron & 67th Special Operations Squadron
BUILDING 49 : Command Post (Hard)
BUILDING 50 : GSE POL Shelter / Defueling Facility
BUILDING 51 : Parachute & Dinghy Shop
This building was demolished in March 2015.
BUILDING 52 : Electronic and Armament Technical Shop
Building 56 was later used as the 352nd Special Ops Group intelligence cell. This building was demolished at the end of 2016.
BUILDING 54 : Security Police Building
This building was originally built as one of Alconbury's three WWII radar workshops.
BUILDING 56 : 17th Reconnaissance Wing Deputy Chief of Maintenance Facility
This building is scheduled to be demolished towards the end of 2016.
BUILDING 57 : 10th TRW / TFW Deputy Commander Maintenance Facility
This was originally constructed as the Field Training Facility and later became the 10TRW / TFW DCM Facility. It was demolished in November 2014.
BUILDING 60 : Link Trainer Building / Scheduling / Waste Disposal Shop
BUILDING 61 : Aerospace Ground Equipment Shop
BUILDING 64 : Airfield Lighting B-Centre
BUILDING 66 : Power Conversion Building
BUILDING 68 : 10th Component Repair Squadron Hush House Facility
This building was demolished in January 2015.
BUILDING 69 : Hardened Photographic Processing & Interpretation Facility
BUILDING 70 : Weapons System Maintenance Administration Facility
BUILDING 72 : Guardhouse and Entrance Gate
BUILDING 73 : Field Training Facility
This building was demolished in September 2015.
BUILDING 79 : Power Conversion Building
BUILDING 83 : Fire Station
BUILDING 85 : Admin Offices
BUILDING 86 : 10th Communications Squadron Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems Maintenance Building
This was originally the 1950s Base Operations Building.
BUILDING 87 : Hydrogen Balloon Building
BUILDING 88 : Flight Line Fire Station
BUILDING 90 : Control Tower
BUILDING 91 : Airfield lighting 'B' Centre, and base of Weather Observation Tower
BUILDING 94 : TR-1 Phase Overhaul Hangar
BUILDING 97 : Squadron Operations Block (Soft)
BUILDING 98 : 511 TFS Bar 'The Pig Sty'
BUILDING 102 : Squadron Operations Block (Hard)
BUILDING 103 : Guard Mount & Hardened Central Security Control Facility
BUILDING 106 : Wing Dock Hangar
BUILDING 107 : Wing Dock Hangar
BUILDING 108 : Heating Plant
BUILDING 111 : Hardened POL Vehicle Shelter
BUILDING 113 : POL Tanker Repair Shop
BUILDING 118 : Central Security Control Garage / Peacekeeper Maintenance Facility
BUILDING 119 : Aviation Fuel Store Type F
BUILDING 120 : Remote Transmitter Building (WW2 Watch Office)
BUILDING 123 : Single Bay Hardened POL Truck Shelter
BUILDING 126 : Fixed TACtical Air Navigation (TACAN) Facility
BUILDING 131, 132, 133 & 138 : Aviation Fuel Installation / POL 'Site C'
BUILDING 139 : Microwave Relay Facility
BUILDING 148 : MOGAS Fuel Installation
BUILDING 154 : Communications Support Facility
BUILDING 165 : F-5 Maintenance Facility / 7th Special Ops Squadron Building
BUILDING 166 : Unknown
BUILDING 167 : Hardened POL Vehicle Shelter
BUILDING 168 : Latrine
BUILDING 199 : Hardened TR-1 Operations and Physiological Support Division Facility
BUILDING 200 : TR-1 Physiological Support Division Facility & Plant Room
BUILDING 201 : TR-1 Squadron Operations (soft)
BUILDING 205 : TR-1 Sensor Maintenance Facility
BUILDING 209 : TR-1 Aircraft Maintenance Facility, Offices for the Flight Chief, Branch Chief, Training/Briefing Room and Tool Crib
BUILDING 210 : TR-1 Avionics Maintenance Facility
BUILDING 215 : Hardened POL Vehicle Shelter
BUILDING 250 : Precision Measuring Equipment Laboratory / Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Originally built in the early 1940s as the wartime gymnasium and base theatre, this building continued in this role until at least the 1950s. During the 1960s the building changed use and became the Precision Measuring Equipment Laboratory. The last use of the building was the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Headquarters before the base closed. The building was demolished in 2014.
BUILDING 251 : War Reserve Materiel Store / Supply Base
BUILDING 252 : Dog Kennels
BUILDING 254 : Sewage Pumping Station
BUILDING 256 : Bed Down Transportable System Yard & Maintenance Support Building
BUILDING 263 : Latrine
BUILDING 513 : Morale, Welfare & Recreation Admin Office
BUILDING 514 : Interim TR-1 Physiological Support Division Facility
BUILDING 518 : Boiler House and Electical Switchgear Room
This building was the electical conversion building and boiler house for the two neighbouring hangars, Building 520 and Building 521.
BUILDING 519 : Base Operations, Air Passenger Terminal, Customs, Flight Planning & Met Office
BUILDING 520 : Primary Repair Hangar
BUILDING 521 : Primary Repair Hangar
BUILDING 522 : Aircraft Maintenance Offices Facility
BUILDING 525 : Photo Lab
BUILDING 534 : Arts & Craft Center
BUILDING 540 : Traffic Check House
BUILDING 541 : Alert Crew Dormitories / 32nd TRS Headquarters
BUILDING 546 : Powerplant Workshops / AAFES Warehouse
BUILDING 547 : Powerplant Workshops / Resource Recovery & Recycling Program
BUILDING 579 : Power Conversion Building
BUILDING 552 : 2 SAD Hangar / T2 Aircraft Shed / USAFE Warehouse
BUILDING 550 : Latrine
BUILDING 594 : Food Court
BUILDING 616 : Bowling Center
BUILDING 629 : Airfield Lighting B-Centre
BUILDING 652 : Dormitory
BUILDING 671 : Services Headquarters, FSS, VAT & Family Support
BUILDING 675 : Temporary Lodging
BUILDING 678 : Library & Education Centre
BUILDING 722 : NATO South POL Filter House
BUILDING 753 : TPQ-11 Cloud Height Detection Radar Shelter
There were 53 of these portable buildings built for the USAFE and this was the 7th built and it was demolished during 2014-2015. It is unknown how many of these survive on other airfields.
BUILDING 760 : AGS Admin Block
BUILDING 763 : 10th Organizational Maintenance Squadron Facility
BUILDING 762 : Hardened POL Vehicle Shelter
BUILDING 763 : 10th Organizational Maintenance Squadron Facility
BUILDING 832 : NATO North POL Site Generator House
BUILDING 949 : Sub Station
BUILDING 1001 : Weapon Storage Area Gatehouse
BUILDING 1002 : Weapon Storage Area Support Building
BUILDING 1003 : Weapon Storage Area Support Building
BUILDING 1006 : Weapon Storage Area Guard Tower
The WSA Guard Tower was officially known as the Master Surveillance Control Facility.
BUILDING 1008 : Administration Building
BUILDING 1010 : Weapon Storage Area Gatehouse (Type B) & Entrapment Area
BUILDING 1011 : Workshop
BUILDING 1043 : Guard Tower
BUILDING 3001 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
'Private Idaho / Puss in Boots'
BUILDING 3003 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
'Heaven Can Wait'
BUILDING 3004 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
'Shovelnose & Handlebars'
BUILDING 3005 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3006 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3008 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3011 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
'Snooper / Hooper'
This HAS / TAB-Vee was originally known as 'Snooper', it was later amended to 'Hooper'.
BUILDING 3013 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3014 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3016 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3017 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3019 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3021 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3030 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3031 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3032 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3034 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3036 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3038 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3048 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3051 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3052 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3053 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3055 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
'I'll be Around'
BUILDING 3056 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 3058 : Hardened Aircraft Shelter (TAB-Vee)
BUILDING 4000 : TR-1 Fuel Barn & Annexe for Aqueous Film-Forming Foam Fire Suppression Pumphouse and Storage Tank
BUILDING 4003 : TR-1 Weather Shelter
BUILDING 4004 : TR-1 Weather Shelter
BUILDING 4104 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4105 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4106 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4108 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4109 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4110 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
BUILDING 4111 : U-2 / TR-1 Hardened Aircraft Shelter
A-10 Arm and De-Arm Pad (Runway 12 end)
A-10 Arm and De-Arm Pad (Runway 30 end)
Aerial Mast Site
Aircraft Hardstands (Wartime)
Aircraft Parking Stand with Jet Efflux Deflector
AN / GPN-22 Precision Approach Radar
The AN/GPN-22 Precision Approach Radar, known as the GCA, was located about half way along the main runway on the southern side.
Bomb Stores (WW2 Bomb Store Site)
Crew Chief's Cabin
The Crew Chief's Cabin was usually found in the Hardened Aircraft Shelter (HAS) or TAB-Vee and date from the 1980s.
Diesel Fuel Tank for the 1st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron Tippie Pad (PPIF trailers) Generators
GATE GUARD : Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II (80-0219)
GATE GUARD : Northrop F-5E Tiger II Replica (BAPC.336 / '74-01532')
ILS Calibration Studs
The main marker stud is located on the centreline of the over run at the northwest end of the main runway, central and in front of the ILS Localiser Array. This is marked at 0° 0m and it is understood the portable test set would be referenced to this datum point. The first arc of studs is located 300 metres from this point and spans 20° either side of the runway centreline. The other arc is located over 3000 metres away at the south east end of the runway and only spans 1° either side of the centreline due to the distance.
MA-1A Arrester Barrier Installation (Runway 30 end)
Megatron McDonalds, Alconbury
MEMORIAL SITE : 2nd Strategic Air Depot Memorial
MEMORIAL SITE : 95th Bombardment Group (Heavy) Memorial
MEMORIAL SITE : 482nd Bombardment Group Memorial
MEMORIAL SITE : Captain Makowski and 1st Lt Danielson Memorial
MEMORIAL SITE : Church of St Peter & St Paul, Alconbury
MEMORIAL SITE : Little Stukeley Village Sign
MEMORIAL SITE : Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm Memorial
Miscellaneous Airfield Lighting & Signage
NATO North BFI Filtre House
Petroleum Fuel Tank
Protected M & E Plinth with Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament Graffiti
An interesting cold war relic with some graffiti painted on by some anti-war protestors. It is located near the southern area TAB-Vee perimeter fence. From what I can transcribe, the following is written,
East Side : REMEMBER HIROSHIMA
North Side : STUFF NATO
North Side : PEACE PLEASE
North Side :
South Side : NO US BASES HERE
West Side : ALCONBURY TOMORROWS NUCLEAR GRAVEYARD